martes, 14 de septiembre de 2010

Setting positive limits in the classroom

This is the first in a series of three blogs I’m planning to write about setting positive limits in the classroom.


How many times have you found yourself in a situation where you didn’t have the courage to say “no” to the students that you love?

What do you do when you’re really keen on your students but the situation urges you to set clear limits?

I’ve asked myself these questions a thousand times and I’ve concluded that:

(a) I’m afraid my students will stop liking me.

(b) As a student myself, I never liked the classes where the teacher was very strict.

I take pride in being a sympathetic, sensitive teacher and as such, I want to “spare the rod and reassure the child” (or teenage/ adult learner) about the pleasure of taking an active role in the learning process. I usually encourage them to overcome their fears and sense of ridicule, to speak their minds and defend their points of view.

I’m also aware of the fact that drawing clear boundaries and setting healthy limits, helps everyone involved understand the rules of the game, the space where it’s possible to circulate (and where it is not) and the necessary respect for their peers and themselves.

I remember myself in situations where I wasn’t feeling my own natural authority, I just bottled up my feelings and ended up bursting sometime later. I used to teach a lovely girl who was very cooperative and “very” talkative. She unconsciously dominated the class because she was fast and smart.

I was secretly growing tired of that and I finally asked her to be patient with her classmates (“please”). She told me I was too authoritarian. She also began bullying some of her peers. She obviously felt motivated by the class but didn’t understand my request because I had never asked her to stay calm and wait for her friends. Her natural reaction was venting her frustration on them.

As teachers, we need to be very clear and confident about the benefits of drawing limits. Learners may first respond with anger and they may even try to make us feel guilty, which is really hard to take. It’s easier for us to look understanding and loving at all times. However, our learners may be putting our authority to the test or they may even feel at a loss for what to hold on to in “limitlessland”.

Students not only need but also hope for positive interaction with teachers who have a clear idea about themselves and their roles, their subject matter and their learners.

What do you think? Have you ever found it difficult to say “no” at the right time?

Your experiences will feel me ideas for the next blog. Thank you.

Cheers! Georgina

7 comentarios:

  1. Hi Ms. Georgina,
    You hit the target because you wrote about management of the class. I'm not going to repeat things you said on that post above, and which I agree with, absolutely.
    Just one idea, for any teacher.
    The teacher ought not to correct a kid in the class, as you know. You just stare at her, gaze at her: silence is so eloquent. She'll for sure recognize something is going wrong with her behavior.
    Talk with her, you two alone, apart, in a loving but demanding mood, making the kid think and discover the wrong stuff: she'll discover and find out by her own, and with your help.
    Anyway, more stuff on my blog, at the lebels "management of the class", "discipline", "love of benevolence".
    Fernando Díez gallego
    Granada, Spain
    http://fernandoexperiences.blogspot.com
    Thank you for your post.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Thank you Fernando. I do read your blogs, which I find really enriching. Your insights into teaching are amazing.
    Many thanks again.
    Georgina

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Georgina!
    But what happens when the whole class is a mess?
    It happens to me that I've been proposed to manage a class that, in a way, hasn't had a figure of authority. It's a computers class and at first was created just for the amusement of the children, a place where they could play funny games while "learning" English. Now I face a group of boisterous kids not following any kind of "golden rules", not used to listen to the person who's in charge of the class... And my challenge is to achieve the purpose of having them enjoying but also calm... I have to figure out something and I need your wisdom. What's your advise?
    Tengo algunas ideas y me gustaría compartirlas contigo, si es posible.
    Un abrazo largo, también desde Granada, Spain, ¡qué curioso ;-)

    Aprovecharé para echarle un vistazo al blog de Fernando Díez.

    Gloria

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Revangel, I feel honoured by your words, I don't feel I'm wise. Sometimes, I use my common sense. I suggest Fernando's blogs, he's great.
    I've never been in a situation where the whole class was a mess. When I read your comment about that class being created for the amusement of the children, a place where they could learn while playing funny games, it gave me the impression, your learners could have gotten a wrong impression of your class. Hasn't it happened to you that when you role-play or listen to and work on songs, your learners get the feeling that they aren't learning and as a result, they misbehave? My guess is that your students need to know you're the person in charge, you negotiate the rules with them but you aren't ruled by your students and they need to feel they are there to learn in an interactive way but the fun is a means to their real end, which is learning English. My attitude has always helped me. You know, letting students know I feel my own natural authority. Being authoritative is good, it gives learners a sense of belonging and an understanding of the way things are. I don't know what age group we're talking about but you may like talking to them or if they're very small, you could do something to let them understand you're in charge (like a little test/competition/etc.) Good luck! Keep me posted. Me alegra que dos personas de Granada se conozcan. Tienen mucha suerte de vivir allí. Podés compartir todas las ideas que quieras conmigo vía facebook. Abrazo grande!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Being bully is very common in students of certain age group. you have to make them disciline by strictness as well.This is a kind of power equilibrium. Even, unwillingly you will have to show your strictness otherwise some of the students will become more bully towards their peers.However, after the passage of that particular phase of time they would become such inseparably friend that you would find it very difficult to make them sit separately. Here, we may just provide them space and guide them friendly otherwise they will take it adversely.Nevertheless, your tactics is also very inspiring for parents like us.Keep up.
    Ypurs sincerely
    Perwaiz
    New Delhi

    ResponderEliminar
  6. hello, may be it's the first time when an English teacher from Tunisia reacts to your blog.I really identify with what revengel said because I share the same experience not with all the levels of course,especially one class. they are teenagers who feel that there are no boundries.and if you become strict, they start bullying the others. this problem is really aggravated especially now at the end of the year.thanks four help.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Nice article, thanks for sharing this informative article with us. Fahim Moledina

    ResponderEliminar